Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Trust and "Patients"

Our devotion for this evening on "trust" was triggered by my experience this week as a "dental assistant"..not my real profession and something I've only done once before when I came to Panama last year.  Fortunately, I have a very "patient" dentist, Dr. Pete, who has endured my lack of experience with  helpful suggestions and proper placement of the instruments in the patient's mouth without too much discomfort.  I'm also only allowed a few of the less challenging instruments like "mr. thirsty" (small suction).

So I've had time to sit and watch Dr. Pete perform what is his vocation as a Dentist.   As I'm watching his work,  I realize that these "patients" have never met him, received no referrals, done no "Google" search or checked his credentials.  They have walked many times 4 hours just to catch the bus to see a doctor or dentist.  Without our translator, Dr. Pete has only a few words at his disposal to communicate with them and sometimes rely on gestures to show them what he wants them to do.  We've had "patients" of all ages sit in the chair and they tell our translators to do whatever Dr. Pete says is the right thing to do.   My skills sometimes only allow me to hold their hand.  Trust..we can only see in their eyes.  Patience...to allow us to continue to finish the week no matter what challenging circumstances come our ways.

Thanks Jane, Rich and Rhett for your trust in us and for your "patience" with us.

Nancy Middleton


No comments:

Post a Comment